Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Valentine's Day!

It's Valentine's Day and I knew my kiddos needed something fun to wear to celebrate. I found puppy dog fabric that I thought would be cute for both of the kids even though it's not completely my style. Sister insisted on a long skirt and Brother still is young enough that he doesn't care what I make for him.

Before I showcase this year's outfits, I want to do a little throwback moment to Sister's first Valentine's Day. It was one of the first items I sewed after getting a sewing machine. I learned how to sew in elementary school in the 4-H program, and a cousin helped me sew a quilt in college, but this is one of my first projects that helped jumpstart my current sewing passion. This was in 2012:


On to this year's outfits!

I purchased the dog print fabric from JoAnn's. Over the past 2+ years I have been introduced to the world of designer fabric (Art Gallery, Riley Blake, etc...) and whenever I buy cheaper fabric, I usually regret it. This was true this time. The quality isn't nearly as soft and even with Color Catchers, the dogs have a pink tint to them. Other than that, the fabric was adorable and worked fine for today.



The solid fabric, however, is Riley Blake Solid Basics and is simply FANTASTIC! I love working with the Riley Blake solid prints because they feel great and the look great over multiple wears and washings!


For Sister, I mashed up two Pink Fig patterns. This year one of my goal's is to think outside the box a little on fabric pairings, and Pink Fig is the perfect designer to encourage that! For her skirt, I used the waistband from Sugar and Spice Skirt. I loved how I could use fabric scraps from other Valentine's Day prints to add a little fun. I then used the skirt and sash from the Mimi's Maxi Skirt. I simply love how it turned out!


There were a few modifications that I made. One modification is that I shifted the panel over so it started at her side and then went to about center front instead of having it perfectly centered. We then tied the sash to the side over the black panel to add a little pop of color!


Also, I had the sash come around from more in the back than the side seams. Just for fun.



Okay, now get a load of these bows. I mean, seriously, aren't they darling?!?! The very talented owner of Little Bow Pat made these based on a picture of my fabric. Her work and attention to detail is amazing! Oh, and she is simply charming to work with. If you don't currently have a favorite shop to get hairbows, head on over to her Facebook page and let her know I sent you!


My sweet little Valentine is rocking yet another Oliver + S Art Museum Vest. This is my fourth time making a vest  (3 for him and one as a gift) and I am simply in love with the fit and style of this vest! This time around I left off the welt pockets for a change of pace, but that was the only modification.


I also made him a little tie using the Boy's Tie pattern from Fuddie Duddies. It's darling and is super quick to sew together! Thankfully it was able to be cut on the grain, because I was squeezing every last bit of my solid black fabric to get it made. Not joking.



And here is one quick snapshot of our family. I am so thankful for our little family and the fun and love that we have not just on Valentine's Day, but everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment